Sunday, April 16, 2006

BAG Day

Ok, so I'm late posting it.



This is the first gun I've ever named. Ivan, meet My Readers. Readers, meet Ivan.

Ivan is a Mosin-Nagant 91/30. He's pretty cosmo'd up right now, something I'm going to have to take care of before I take him out to discover if he deserves his name.

I showed up at Military Gun Supply about 30 minutes before they closed Saturday, after finishing my yardwork, and spent the time looking at furniture and bores, and testing actions and triggers.

Now, (as far as I know so far) Ivan's a Russian military piece. No precision engineering here. But the action's not bad, and while the trigger has a good amount of creep, it's pretty much smooth. And even cosmo'd, his furniture is beautiful, and the bore, while it's collected a fair amount of crap in the cosmoline, looks good. I'll know more about that after a good cleaning.

So that's my BAG Day purchase. And I did it on April 15th. While I understand why others may have bought theirs a little early, or a little late,

"I fart in your general direction"

*grin*

I did it on Tax Day! So there!

Now we'll just have to see how Ivan shoots, after a VERY thorough cleaning.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

I sent you a long email about the Russki rifle, and ammo, and links.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Dirk said...

As an ignorant Australian, I have two questions:
1. What's BAG Day?
2. What does 'cosmo'd up' mean?

2:03 AM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

1. BAG Day is Buy A Gun Day, April 15th. It happens to coincide with the day Americans are required to send the Federal Government the paperwork, and money, for our annual income tax.
2. 'Cosmo'd up' - short for covered in Cosmoline, a grease-like substance that hardens. It's used as a long-term preservative, preventing decay and rust. The Soviets used it a LOT, so most surplus rifles from them require an extensive cleaning before use. Cosmoline also is VERY nasty to try to clean.

And there ya go!

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home