Thursday, August 24, 2006

A plan for Iraq?

This week I've been in a training class that requires me to drive about 60 miles each way, right through the middle of the DFW metroplex. So, plenty of time to listen to the radio. Specifically, talk radio.

Now, I think we're doing ok in Iraq. We're bringing the Iraqi forces up to speed, and bit by bit, handing things over to them. That's as it should be.

But the violence between the Sunnis and Shias is a problem, and it doesn't seem to be going away any time soon.

I heard an idea on the radio while driving home today. Sorry, I don't remember which radio show it was, so I can't give proper credit... I think it was 820AM WBAP, around 5pm or 5:30pm if anyone wants to go look it up.

The idea was this: a national Iraqi gov't, with separate areas and governments for each of the primary groups: Shia, Sunni, and Kurd.

At first, it sounded like "Break Iraq into 3 nations", something Turkey has a BIG problem with, and would likely result in more fighting.

BUT... when I thought about it, it could also be set up very much like our own system of government here in America.

Iraq could be made of three states, each with their own state government, and on top of that, a Federal Iraqi government which would oversee things that affect the whole country, such as oil production.

VERY much like our own system of federalism.

Possibly with a two-house Parliament, like Britain's Parliament or our Congress.

Yanno, it's worked for us (fairly well) for better than 200 years. Iraq could do worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home