Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

Ok, first, up, I'm not a REALLY bad son - I managed to leave a message on Mom's phone, but didn't reach her to tell her in person.

I probably suck more as a grandson/nephew, because by the time I had Alex put to bed and Lisa's dinner ready, it was too late to call decent people (ie, my grandmothers and aunts).

Spent more of my day on Lisa - took Alex out shopping, where we picked up some art supplies to make nested casts of our hands (still waiting for those to harden) to decorate for Lisa, and Alex picked out all the flowers for a bouquet, and a talking balloon, for "Hay Mama Dee!" I must say, it's a pretty eclectic mix of flowers.

For those of you who don't speak Toddler, that would be his pronunciation of "Happy Mama's Day".

And then made Steak au Poivre. I have to say, that turned out very well, even though I had to substitute white wine for the cognac (I doubled the amount, as congac's basically a very specific, distilled, white wine) and then had to cook it down to get the consistency right.

It's basically a very, very tender, nice cut of meat, with cracked peppercorns as the primary spice, plus a pan sauce made from what's left from cooking the steaks, also quite peppery. Boy, they turned out melt-in-your mouth tender, and SUPER tasty with the peppery kick, creamy sauce, and naturally delicious cuts of meat. I'm pretty proud I pulled that off so well, and Lisa seemed to like it as well as I did.

Of course, by the time I was through with that, it was too late to call folks, as I said, so I'll be playing catch-up and apologizing tomorrow.

But still - Hay Mama Dee to all you Mothers out there; hope you had a good day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home