Saturday, May 02, 2009

Some Boomershoot stuff

First up - Ry Jones, his Dad, and his Daughters are some great people. Ry Senior's dog is a pretty pleasant pup, as well. I wanted to get a pic of the whole family, but logistics broke down, and I didn't get a chance before they headed home.

Another missing pic - Gene Econ, and one of his assistants, I think his name was Bill - who spotted for me during the rifle clinic, as I didn't have a partner for that part of Boomershoot. I wanted a pic of them, but they bugged out before I got off my butt and I missed the chance. Those guys ROCK; they're the reason I now understand how to handle wind, work with a spotter (or be a spotter working with a shooter) and hit sub-MOA targets at long ranges.

More to follow - I've been busy unpacking from the trip, the garden needs a lot of work, and 1 May was my 5th anniversary of my marriage to Lisa - been a bit busy. Stay tuned, though - many more thoughts and pics to come.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

You failed to mention that you graduated from Spotter School with top honors, talking a total Boomershoot rookie into booming his first target with his first shot on Field Fire, and with his second shot out of a cold rifle on Boomershoot Sunday, and into a 575-yard boomer with a .243, a feat most at the meet considered difficult to impossible.

I feel REALLY accomplished, and that would not be the case without your excellent spotting skills.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Well I very much appreciate the compliment.

I thought I did OK, but not great, in the spotting department - gotta give credit to the shooter, too, right? To your credit, Rivrdog, you were pretty damn consistent with that .243 - I don't remember you calling a single bad shot; that makes the spotter's job a lot easier. I had several until I settled myself down. Even then, I had a few when my shoulder started complaining (STILL have a bruise).

11:58 PM  
Blogger bwaites said...

Yep, Aaron, that was me.

You did a GREAT job with the rifle you had. I was really impressed with your consistency and desire to improve. Its always enjoyable working with someone who wants to get better!

Wow, didn't realize you made it up from the Republic of Texas!

PS, I can send you a pic of the whole Econ crew if you like!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Bill,

Thanks for your compliments - undeserved as they may be.

I was a bit spastic while you and Gene were spotting for me; buck- or boomer- fever, I guess.

I had to tell myself, "OK, dumbass, you teach people pistol shooting by teaching the basics - go back to your own basics!" And after I did that for a bit, I settled down.

My rifle is incredible - it does sub-MOA easily, as long as I do my part; the reason for me coming to Boomershoot was to learn to do my part better. You helped with that, and I appreciate it greatly.

Yeah, it's a long drive from Texas to Idaho and back - but it was a nice trip, other than being away from wife and toddler. I had a great time, but I'm happy to be home :)

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home