Friday, January 27, 2006

A blogpology

When I started this blog, back on New Year's Eve, I had a couple of goals:

1) Have a place to vent, other than somebody else's forums
2) Spend some time thinking about what I wrote, and then write intelligently
3) Get some of the poison out of my system, that had been building up since Taylor's and Daddy's deaths
4) Save my marrige, by getting that poison out, in a way that wasn't directed at Lisa.

I had some encouragement ahead of time, most notably from Rivrdog... He told me I should be writing my own blog back when I just sent him updates of my trip. I didn't believe him at the time, thinking, 1) I didn't have enough interesting to say, and 2) I didn't have the time to dedicate to writing a blog that was worth anything.

Thus, Rivrdog gets the place of cussing-honor in my blogroll.

Kim du Toit is my other inspiration, though, and he's the one this apology is meant for.

When I emailed Kim, telling him I'd started a blog, his most important piece of advice was "Post something... anything... every day".

I understand that... gotta have a reason for readers to keep coming back.

But life gets in the way. Some (many?) nights I just have too much to do after work, and don't have the time or energy to write.

So I try to make up for it on nights like this... when I don't have much to do, and I'm not too tired, so I'll hit various topics on things I've been accumulating.

If I'm lucky, somebody will think "Quality is better than quantity"

Of course, that's assuming anyone sees Quality here.

Maybe somebody else will recognize that the muse and the available time have to coincide properly in order to get something out.

Sorry Kim, but it's not every day.

Hopefully, something every few days, that incorporates some effort, is the next best thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dirk said...

Can't say that I agree with Kim re: posting every day. If you haven't got anything to say, then shut up. Unless you are interested in developing your writing as a craft, I think you are better off waiting until an idea occurs to you that you feel strongly about before posting, particularly if you are interested in developing a readership. Having something for people to read and having something worth reading are not synonymous statements and you are more likely to lose readers with mediocrity than you are with sparseness(If that's the right word.)
You have the quality, let the quantity look after iteself.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home