Sunday, March 19, 2006

Poor Old Fella...

... Talking about Buddy.

Buddy is my 14-15 year old border-collie mixed dog. He's the elder statesman for the pack. Utmost manners and politeness. Think Donald Southerland, in "A Time To Kill", but with four legs.

Buddy's biggest problem is chronic ear mites. We just can't get rid of them. So periodically we have to wash his ears out with Epi-Otic, which I just did.

Take the bottle, stick it in the microwave for 5-8 seconds (so it's not COLD stuff going into his ears), sit down in the kitchen floor, and get him to come lay his head in my lap.

Yeah... 60# dog, head in my lap, and I'm squirting stuff he don't like down into his ears, and then working them over with Q-tips. That's a combination of trust and good manners. To be precice, trust on my part, and good manners on his.

The whole time his back feet are going ninety to nothin', and he says "ooowwwwww... oooooooowwwwwwwwww".

Now Buddy's walking around, shaking his head trying to get the remnants of liquid out of his ears, and saying "oooowwww... ooowwww...". Poor old guy. But he's not digging at his ears with his back feet 'cause they itch so bad.

And Edgar's jealous of the attention Buddy got... but Daddy trained these dogs VERY well. All I have to do is pat Edgar's head, and then wiggle my fingers at him and say "That's all. Go lay down" and he goes and lays down, instead of trying to crawl into my lap looking for attention. And I'm not particularly fond of a 70-pound dog trying to crawl into my lap.

Good Dogs... something to truly appreciate and enjoy.

As I've been writing this, Buddy apparently got all the liquid out of his ear canals. He's laying down and being calm now.

Of course, all four of them are sticking rather close to me... it's stormy out tonight, and none of them like thunder. So they stay close to the two-legger.

I'm glad I have the company of all four of these dogs... Buddy. Lucky, Buster, and Edgar.

I'll continue to do my best to take care of them. Hopefully "All Dogs Go To Heaven" is true, so when they're not mine to take care of anymore, Daddy can resume where he left off.

Until then, I'll keep tending to Buddy's ears :) And whatever else needs attention.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home