Sunday, March 26, 2006

SKS note

I installed a 10-round fixed magazine in my SKS tonight. The removable 30-rounders I had were, at best, picky.... at worst, utter and complete pieces of crap. Not to mention, changing a removable mag in an SKS is so difficult as to be only moderately quicker than recharging the mag in place using stripper clips.

Something that wasn't noted in my manual, however, was the need for the safety to be in the "safe" position to remove the trigger group (required for installing or removing a fixed mag).

Needless to say, I struggled with the thing for WAY too long, and when I found the key to the puzzle, let loose with a "DUH" of profanity-laced, biblical proportions.

On a related note, I got the rear sight removed from the M1 carbine tonight. Soon (hopefully tomorrow), I'll get a tiny set screw, drill and tap the sight, and re-install it with the set screw to hold it place so it doesn't wobble left-to-right by an eighth of an inch in the dovetail, and I'll be able to shoot decent groups with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home