Monday, October 06, 2008

Long Overdue

... a gun post.

Normally, rats in the attic and/or garage would be seen as a bad thing. I've got some, and I do, in fact, want them gone.

I've got an electronic noisemaker that's supposed to run them out... ineffective.

Glue traps? They've struggled out of them.

I've got the old-fashioned spring-loaded snap traps down; waiting to see if any of them fall for that.

Poison Baits? They carry them outside for the squirrels to kill themselves with, and for my dogs to get seriously ill. (Really happened.)

The thing that's killed the most rats so far? My Ruger .22/45 loaded with ratshot. 3 of the not-so-little vermin so far.

Good moving target practice, and I love the smell of burned gunpowder in the garage.

Scared the crap out of Lisa the first time I actually shot at one, and I had to tell her the story about my great-grandfather, who dealt with a rat infestation by nailing tin can lids over all ratholes but two. Then he ran a hose from the exhaust pipe of his car to one hole and sealed around it, and sat in front of the other rathole with his revolver and shot the vermin as they ran from the carbon monoxide. As the story goes, he was quite successful.

I need a .22 revolver - the ratshot won't cycle my .22/45, making followup shots (in case of a miss) slow enough that the rat usually gets away.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

Look for a Hi-Standard Sentinel 9-shooter. I just picked one up, 6" barrel, nice shape for $200. Accurate little revolver, I can rest it on the bench and do a 2 1/2" group at 50 feet with it, and the sights aren't easy with my old eyes.

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home