Friday, June 26, 2009

Thought Excercise

I note with interest that Ayn Rand wanted Farrah Fawcett to play the part of Dagny Taggart in the TV version of Atlas Shrugged. (h/t: Ry)

Now, I suspect that a TV version of Atlas Shrugged would stink on ice. A movie version probably wouldn't be better; likely it would turn out like the difference between the book and movie of Starship Troopers.

That said (and here's the thought excercise)... who would YOU cast in the major roles, should Atlas Shrugged be put to film?

My first thoughts are:
Nathan Fillion or Will Smith as Hank Rearden
Gary Oldman as James Taggart (probably iffy)
Jon Voight or Fred Thompson as John Galt (iffy)
John Goodman as Ragnar Danneskjöld
Johnny Depp as Francisco d'Anconia
Lena Heady as Dagny Taggart (this is definately a firm maybe)

Looking back, after editing that list, I may have even gotten the actor-vs-character ages somewhere in the ballpark.

As for the rest of the cast, I have no idea. I'm not a casting guy, after all.

Who would YOU cast for various parts, if it were up to you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

Tom Skerrit for the pirate Ragnar

11:41 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

I can kinda see that one.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Hank Morgan said...

I would take the money that you'd spend making the movie, and use it to ressurect Rand. She's only been dead twenty or so years, it ought to not be that hard. And then I'd hire crews of people to bitchslap her ass around the clock until she was dead again. And then bring her ass back to life AGAIN, and tell her to cut out all the goddamned 56 page speeches. Here, let me nutshell this important work for her: Liberalisim/statism sucks. Now the movie is thirty seconds long, with the first fourteen seconds and the last fifteen seconds being credits.

Damned woman needed an editor, futhuchrissakes. grumblegrumble.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home