Friday, April 21, 2006

U.S. Census Bureau

... is doing a census. If you just asked yourself, "Why, it hasn't been 10 years since the 2000 Census?" then congrats to you.

As I referenced here, it's called the American Community Survey, and it's about the most obnoxious piece of crap I've seen in a while.

If I'm applying for a line of credit, I'm not asked this many intrusive questions. And I actually GET something for that!

Being that this is not a year the FedGov is supposed to be doing a census, I was going to go down as "no response". Just don't answer the phone when they call, and don't answer the door when they show up.

Lisa got tired of the phone ringing HOURLY, though (yes, that's right - calling ONCE AN HOUR. EVERY DAY. Talk about obnoxious, and how many of my tax dollars are paying for this shite?), and told me I had to talk to them and try to get them to quit calling.

So tonight, an hour after the first time the phone rang from them, I answered, and spent about 15 minutes listening to all the GOOD reasons for the FedGov to have such intimate details about my life as "How many rooms are in your house?" "Do you have indoor plumbing?" "What time do you leave for work each day?" "What's your annual household income?" - those last two sound really spooky together, don't they? - and explaining to the Census caller, many times, in detail, (and 8x10 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one) the meaning of the phrase, "That's none of your business, and I'm not going to answer that question."

(Virtual cookie to the first person who recognized the photographs quote)

We'll see whether they keep calling, or go straight to sending someone to ring the doorbell.

Of course, when they ring the doorbell, I have a different problem. One of the questions I refuse to answer is what race I am. That doesn't matter a damn bit as far as determining how many Representatives Texas sends to Washington; it's only useful for racist policies like the reprehensible Affirmative Action. However, if I open the door, they'll answer it for me.

Maybe I'll just shout through the door.

Or, maybe I'll talk to whatever quisling shows up, and explain that my personal information is VALUABLE - companies buy and sell it all the time (usually just as soon as I give it to them, IN EXCHANGE FOR SOMETHING I WANT). As a valuable commodity, the FedGov can have it, if they're willing to pay for it. Since I don't really want to part with it, though, it's going to be expensive. Say, $1000/question I answer that isn't authorized by the Constitution (ie, how many people live here).

Somehow I don't think they'll take me up on my generous offer.

Statist pricks. The whole lot of them should be FIRED.

2 Comments:

Blogger og said...

Fired AT, you mean.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Heh...

We'll hold that as an additional option.

For now.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home