Friday, February 29, 2008

Tree Rat: 1, City of Fort Worth: 0

Sometime this morning, there was a power loss in Southwest Fort Worth. This affected my home; when I woke up my alarm clock was blinking.

According to "authorities", it was due to a squirrel chewing through a power line. I hope the tree-rat fried, slowly.

In addition to my home, and 25,000-30,000 other households, this particular tree rat also caused a power failure at two water pumping stations in Southwest Fort Worth. As a result, over 400 businesses were closed, and 25-30 THOUSAND households are being told to boil water prior to consumption until at least Saturday afternoon. Friday morning to Saturday afternoon, our water supply is not considered "safe".

Folks, this isn't the result of a terrorist attack, or a huge storm, or an outbreak of some weird disease... this is a result of a SQUIRREL CHEWING ON A POWER LINE.

Whether or not a treerat should be able to take out this much infrastructure is a topic for another post. What I'm talking about here is that YOU SHOULD BE PREPARED!

Lisa and I won't be boiling our water; I've hauled one of our 7-gallon Aqua-tainers out of the bathroom closet and we have safe water on the kitchen cabinet ready to go.

I have a friend who makes fun of me; he gives me grief about being a "survivalist" for storing water, food, and ammo, and having a generator and storing gasoline for it.

But I have water I know is safe, and I don't have to boil it.

My biggest headache is that I have to re-wash some of Alex's bottles, because I washed them this morning before I checked the answering machine and got the reverse-911 call or turned on the radio.

Store enough water and food to last a week. Have a generator and enough fuel to run it for a week.

Be prepared for when something stupid (like a treerat) or something terrible (like a terrorist attack) interrupts the services you normally take for granted.

For the record: Terrorists have never interrupted our services here. But a squirrel has, for what looks like about a day and a half.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home