Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Shooting Advice

Namely,
If you're scheduled to do any kind of shooting qualification, try to reschedule if you're sick.

Alex brought home a nasty little stomach bug last week, so of course Lisa and I caught it too.

It fully hit me sometime mid-afternoon Saturday. Of course Saturday was the day for my re-qual for my CHL.

Now, for four years, I've been mightily pissed at myself for losing focus and shooting a 249 out of a possible 250 on my initial test. I've been practicing fairly seriously since about February of this year, fully intending to get the perfect score that I missed by one due to "Oh wow, I might shoot a perfect score!" whoops - threw one low and left. 4-zone instead of 5-zone. I was DETERMINED that I wouldn't make that mistake again.

Instead, when it came to the shooting part (100% on the written, thankyouverymuch), I had quickly alternating fever/chills, and my hands were kind of shaky.

So I shot a 240/250 - nine points worse than four years ago, despite heavy practice and all the concentration I could muster.

At least the hershey squirts didn't hit until Sunday. That MIGHT have been more embarrassing than the scatter-shotted target.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

It's good to try for possibles when you compete, but the reality of it is that you just shot 96% on a bad day, and 96% gets you Police Master, if you can shoot it 3 times consecutively.

You're a certified killa.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

11:30 AM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

That's a much better perspective. Thanks!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home