Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Simple Prayer

Tonight, we're on the cusp of a severe weather event here in North Texas.

Predictions range from destructive wind-shear translating into straight-line winds, to severe thunderstorms, to large hail, to numerous tornados.

Just about right for Springtime in Texas.

After hearing the screen door pop a few times, I just walked out in the backyard to see what the weather's doing - right now, just quite windy.

But when I went out, Edgar wanted to go with me. Once we were outside, he decided "This isn't such a good idea", and stayed within 18 inches of me. When I said, "Let's go back inside", he headed for the door - stopping every few feet to make sure I was still walking behind him.

I don't own these dogs - I just look after them. I'm the Pack Leader; if any of them wanted to leave the pack, they would. My fences aren't determined-dog-proof.

They look to Lisa and I for safety, and comfort, and they get it, as best we can provide. If we fall short (it happens, but rarely), they don't notice, other than to whine or grunt a bit more than normal.

Which reminds me of one of the bestest, shortest prayers I've ever heard:

"Dear God, please help me to be the kind of man my dogs think I am".

If I could really acheive that, I'd at least be a Knight, and maybe even be Sainted by the time I'm 40.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dirk said...

I'm the Pack Leader; if any of them wanted to leave the pack, they would.
Everybody with dogs should have that pinned on the wall.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home