Friday, November 14, 2008

New Shooters

I sent this to Kim, but he didn't publish it so I will:

I've spent the past few weeks teaching two of my younger cousins to shoot:

Here's Crystal:


And this is Austin:


Both of these 20-somethings have mastered the Four Rules, and this week, I ran them both through a practice CHL test - Crystal scored a 229/250, and Austin scored a 246/250. Passing score is, iirc, 175. Both of these youngsters are good pistol shots, and about to go get their CHLs before Obama makes them illegal. Hooray!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

The young lady is cradling that Ruger with her right thumb vertical. She will have to learn to use it without a thumb if she tries that with any pistol designed by JMB.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Crystal's grip is (euphemistically) problematic.

She's a lefty in a right-handed world, and on top of that, her hands are very small. I think a P3AT would fill her hands pretty well.

The biggest challenge I faced teaching her to shoot was how to develop a good grip - something stable, comfortable, and repeatable.

I think that photo may have been a fluke - normally (especially on her Glock) both thumbs point forward. I'll keep an eye on her thumbs in the future though; you bring up a good point.

She's certainly NOT blessed, however, with hands that fit well to the preponderance of guns on the market. Given that handicap, she's doing quite well so far.

*I* certainly wouldn't want to be a bad guy she decided she needed to pull the trigger on.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home