Monday, March 17, 2008

Long Way to Go

I hate to admit it, but it's been a while since I did any shooting. Last time was using a shotgun loaded with light buckshot to "clean up" some feral dogs who had taken up residence at Dad's. Bad times, 'nuff said.

Before that, was early in Lisa's pregnancy with Alex... so over a year ago. Taking care of a wife on bed rest, then an infant, now a crawler and nearly- toddler... yeah.

So Rivrdog and I did a little shooting out at Dad's today. VERY impromptu range, but safe backstop, and it served ok.

I got to put a few rounds through Snuffy... nice, handy little rifle! Shooting from standing, with my left elbow resting on the side of my truck bed, I figured I did ok for minute-of-goblin. With an unfamiliar rifle, I'll take that. I do like that rifle though; it's accurate, low-recoil, and for a truck gun, capable of delivering a good punch.

Then I got my .45 out - my carry gun. And proceeded to suck.

I'm going to have to get serious about practice - my handgunning today was flat-out awful; Rivrdog took several pictures, and if I'm lucky, he'll only say "We went out shooting today". My accuracy was, honestly, horrible. I MIGHT have been able to stop an attacker at 15 yards, but it would have been iffy.

This was a wake-up call... nice that I could hit with an unfamiliar rifle; BAD that I couldn't hit for love nor money with my OWN carry pistol. I have a LOT of work to do to make up lost ground on my skill with my .45.

I am now thoroughly embarrassed, in front of Rivrdog. But... I'll be doing better shortly, and you can bet on that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rivrdog said...

Don't feel bad. We ALL get these wake-up calls, and they serve us nicely to get us to the range (or, in your case, to Dad's Garage!)

6:01 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Wake-up call, indeed.

Two good discoveries though:

1) I can still hit with even an unfamiliar rifle, and

2) The baby monitor works well, so I can keep Alex inside and shoot outside. It'll be even better when I make sure the receiver has a good battery, and I can wear it behind my holster, or keep it in a shirt pocket, rather than having to go walk to where it's plugged in.

Better targets will be posted here soon.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Oh, and a bit of a funny:

You commented after I shot your rifle decently:

"You seem to know your way around a levergun!"

Your rifle was only the second levergun I've ever shot, the first being the one Dad left me that I showed you. I guess leverguns are pretty easy-to-shoot rifles :)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home