Monday, February 06, 2006

Another One Outta' the Park

Chris Byrne is an interesting fellow. Quite likely to get on your nerves at some point, and in dire need of a spellchecker, but he often has some pretty intriguing points of view, and he expresses them very well.

Like this:

For example, I find most abortion offensive, but it is the law of the land and I have no right to try and stop it except by changing the law, or changing an individuals mind; and in fact I don’t think the law SHOULD be changed; but as many peoples minds as possible SHOULD be.


I don't know if I've ever heard my views on abortion expressed so precicely. I know I've never said it that well myself.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wax Tadpole said...

Howdy folks. First time, long time.

Story time. My friend Curt, friend since childhood, called me at home the other day. As I answered the phone, my stepdaughter Danielle was asking me about some of the questions on her homework for government class. I felt she wasn't looking hard enough for the answers, so I told Curt to hang on a second, and without covering the phone, told her "Just look in the Constitution, honey. You'll find the answer there."

We shared a laugh about how nobody else would be running their house based on the Constitution. But the key to the abortion question, and many other questions about the way the government chooses to deal with issues, are found the same place.

Nowhere in the Constitution does the federal government receive permission to make this decision; any law on abortion, whether allowing or disallowing it, is outside their jurisdiction. The Tenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution decrees:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

It's as simple as that.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Aaron Neal said...

Actually, you'd be surprised how many of the folks around the Blogosphere WILL run their home based on the Constitution :)

Welcome, wax tadpole (you're gonna have to explain that one to me) - now don't be a stranger!

12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home